Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Been Thinking Pink...

Sorry it has been a while, ladies! What can I say but "life happened!" I am back in the saddle and now, I am blogging for a cause. In addition to the plethora of recipes, designer projects and life-style tips I plan to share with you, I would also like to share a way to give back to this beautiful world we live in.

The day after Mother's Day this year, my very own mother, my unbreakable heroine, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It was and still is hard for me to digest considering all the volunteer work and exposure I personally have given to this disease. As a carefree 15 year old, I worked as a "Pink Lady" at the Memorial Medical Breast Center, dealing daily with patients suffering and surviving the illness. Throughout college, I assisted my sorority with our national philanthropy, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation for almost five years, planning and organizing chairtable events. I continued my crusade here in Central Florida by volunteering at our yearly "Race for the Cure." Even though I was rocked to my core by the strength and perseverance of all these individuals effected by this disease showed me, I never once viewed my own mother as one of these statistics. The harsh reality of the disease is that 1 in 8 women will develop some level of Breast Cancer throughout their lifetime- 1 in 8 women!


A link was sent to me by a dear friend of mine for an organization called "Making Memories." On their site, they have partnered with several different vendors and programs to help assist in efforts to increase awareness about these disease and to provide memorable experiences to the women Breast Cancer affects. Two programs that tie perfectly into our blog here include the "Pink Envelope Project" and the "Brides Against Breast Cancer" sale. Please visit http://makingmemories.org/ for more information about each but here are brief explanations for both events below.


Pink Envelope Project- The website suggests initiating this fundraiser at a bridal shower or even a wedding reception. The concept is quite simple- pink envelopes, small donation, changed lives! "Making Memories" will send you their signature pink envelopes to collect donations in from all your shower/wedding guests, perhaps in lieu of gifts?! You could also choose to make a donation of at least $100.00 in advance to the foundation and then pass along a beautiful company crafted favor card to your guests explaining a donation has been made to "Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation" in their honor. Along with the cards, you could attach a pink ribbon key chain, chocolate or charm like the ones seen here for an added keepsake. Your guests will treasure this special memento and love the fact they helped make a difference in the life of another.


Brides Against Breast Cancer- Every girl dreams of the fairytale romance, the magical proposal and then the perfect gown! Would it be possible to have all these things for yourself AND to make someone elses' dreams come true? That is the sole mission of the "Brides Against Breast Cancer" fund. Brides-to-be have the option of purchasing BRAND NEW to gently worn contemporary, designer wedding gowns for a fraction of the price with most of the proceeds going back into the "Brides Against Breast Cancer" fund. Brides who have already taken the plunge can contribute to the cause either by donating their dresses or by participating in a "Brides Against Breast Cancer" trunk sale in a city near you. Please refer to the "Making Memories" website for more information on how to make any woman's dreams become a reality!

Thank you for taking the time out of your hectic lives to read my little blog here. I hope this post has inspired you to lend a helping hand in your community, appreciate life and to make sure those you love KNOW you love them every single day. Each day is a gift- uwrap it carefully!


Be sure to stay tuned, dahlin's!

No comments:

Post a Comment