Monday, March 7, 2011

Blooming Brews

A little impish twinkle starts to appear in my eyes this time every year as my fondest holiday swiftly approaches. March 17th, Saint Patrick's Day in Savannah, Georgia is truly at sight to be seen. The spouting waters of our majestic Forsyth Fountain are dyed green, doggies don leprechaun hats and emerald hued eggs and grits are something you would want to consume. For many Savannah Sons and Daughters, Saint Patrick's Day is a time to share in revelry with your closet family and friends and is a time to pay homage to our gorgeous city and rich heritage. Even though we live in Orlando now, I am hoping the Luck O' the Irish will get us a few days off of work next week so we can make it up for the merry-making of the holiday. If not, you can bet your last Irish pound that we will celebrate here in Sunny Florida with sass and style. As I sat here surfing the internet, virtually preparing my Saint Patrick's Day dinner table, I originally desired a centerpiece that exuded class, elegance and panache! Memories of past March 17ths came flooding back to me and oddly enough, the words "class and elegance" just didn't seem to fit...Almost instantaneously, this frothy floral mug caught my eye on 1-800 Flowers and I squealed with delight. I genuinely love the products and quality put out by 1-800 Flowers, but I had to figure out a way to make this myself or what kind of blog would this be?! Here are your DIY instructions for a Saint Patrick's Day Brew that will have all Irish Eyes Smiling!

Blooming Brews

Materials Needed:

* Glass or Acrylic Beer Mug

* Colored Crystals

(Gold for a Traditional Lager, Brown for a Guiness, or Green for a TRUE St. Patrick's Day Brew!)

* 1 Dozen Carnation Heads with 3/4" Stems (White or Green Tinted)

* 1 Block Oasis Floral Foam

Directions:

Cut floral foam into a (1) 1/2" thick circle the diameter of the beer mug. Soak this circle for 2 to 3 hours in water. Fill your beer mug (I found mine at the Dollar Tree) to the top, leaving about 1" for the wet floral foam with your crystals or glass marbles. Top with water and wet floral foam disc. Gently begin pushing your carnation heads into the wet foam until disc is covered. Finish off the presentation with a printed theme tag and ribbon with a Saint Patrick's Day wish or a witty Irish limerick.

I hope this Saint Patrick's Day finds you amongst friends and family and those who love you the most. Where ever you are raise your glasses and sing with me this Irish Toast.

Saint Patrick was a gentleman,
Who through strategy and stealth,
Drove all the snakes from Ireland,
Here’s a toasting to his health.
But not too many toastings
Lest you lose yourself and then
Forget the good Saint Patrick
And see all those snakes again.
'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
Happy St. Patrick's Day, Y'all!


2 comments:

  1. sandy i love you little ideas...love you girl
    nekiya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nekiya! I appreciate that and love and miss you even more!

    ReplyDelete